I have a confession. I didn’t start regularly drinking coffee until after I was pregnant. Before you freak out on me, don’t worry I didn’t have more than one SMALL cup a day (usually only about 4 times a week) and it was always decaf! Well except for that one time I forgot to order a decaf mocha at Starbucks and Jude did flips for two hours in my belly. :)
When we got married we registered for this super fancy coffee maker that grinds the beans and then also brews the coffee. Guess how many times we’ve used it in the four years we’ve been married? Once. And it was only because we had family in town that wanted coffee and they had to show us how to use it. BTR rarely drinks coffee and it is way too much work for me to actually measure out the coffee grounds and brew a pot. So about two years ago I asked for a Keurig for Christmas and that’s what I’ve been using to drink my coffee. It was a basic model and I really liked it because there is basically no prep or clean up involved. So when I got an email from Influenster saying that they were sending me the new Keurig 2.0 for the #HelloKeurig VoxBox campaign I pretty much jumped up and down and did a little happy dance.
I’ve been using my new Keurig 2.0 for about 3 weeks now and I really like it. There are a few things I do wish worked a little differently, but probably only because I was used to my old Keurig. For the most part though, it rocks!
Here’s a fancy little list I made of things I LOVE about the new Keurig 2.0:
- You can brew a cup OR a carafe of coffee with the new K-Carafe cups! This is great for during the week when I only drink one or two cups a day, and usually pretty spread out during the day. And then on the weekends if BTR is also drinking coffee we brew a carafe and both drink it! Seriously it’s awesome.
- The water reservoir is so much bigger. Which I love because I use the Keurig to heat water to warm bottles for Jude. Which means I was filling the tank multiple times a day. The K550 model has an 80 ounce tank so I only have to fill it every other day now.
- It’s a lot easier to know the size of the cup you’re brewing with the touch screen. It tells you exactly what size you can brew and is super easy to use. There are also separate settings for hot cocoa and other drinks.
- There is an auto-on and auto-off feature (that I love so I always have hot water ready when I wake up), and an auto-brew feature, but I haven’t tried it yet since our schedule is always changing.
Here’s the one thing that bothers me about the new Keurig 2.0:
- Difficulty brewing hot water. On my old machine I just had to open and close the lid and then press one of the brew buttons and hot water was automatically dispensed. On the new machine I have to hit a button, raise and lower the lid, and then press and HOLD the brew button. And the worst part is it only dispenses 6 ounces of hot water. So to get more water I have to repeat that whole process. I like to drink tea every night before bed and I hate that I have to stand there and hold the button to get the water out. Also when I’m trying to warm a bottle and I have a very not happy baby waiting for me, I’d much rather just press the button to dispense the water so I can get other things ready than stand there. This is my biggest (and only) complaint with the new Keurig 2.0.
And finally, here’s a list of things that don’t bother me, but may be a problem for you:
- K-Cup Differences – I do not find this to be a problem at all, but I’ve read many people are not happy with it. They have changed the design of the K-Cups and you can ONLY use Keurig Brewed K-Cups with the new Keurig 2.0. They have a white rim around the border of the K-Cup. The machine has new technology that reads the label of the K-Cup and won’t work with any other kind. This means you can’t buy off brand coffee K-Cups and use it in your new Keurig 2.0. This isn’t a problem for me because I pretty much only drink Donut Shop Coffee or on occasion Starbucks and both of those are Keurig brewed. The only problem for me is making sure I’m buying the correct cups at the store because not everything has been transitioned yet.
- It isn’t compatible with the My K-Cup. Again this is not a problem for me because I had a My K-Cup filter and never used it. Not once. I saw it more of as if I’m going to take the time to measure out coffee grounds for this why wouldn’t I just be using a full sized brewer? The reason I love the Keurig is no measuring and no clean up. Just pop the K-Cup in and go! So again, this is a problem for some, but not for me!
Overall I really do love my new Keurig 2.0. BTR has been drinking more coffee lately (as opposed to a large soda from QT) so it’s great for him to brew a cup before work and then a few hours later I can brew a cup for myself. And then later in the afternoon if I want another cup, I just pop in another K-Cup! And then on the weekends when we are both drinking coffee at the same time we just brew a carafe! I would totally recommend this new brewer to someone looking to buy a Keurig! Here’s an Instagram video of my new Keurig in action!
So how do you drink your coffee? Black or with a little bit of creamer? Or do you like your cream with a little bit of coffee?